Thursday, May 1, 2008

How To Be Relevent

Though contributing posts regularly since creating Walden's Blog, I only just recognized that something is amiss. So focussed was I on famous French authors, I neglected an ingredient crucial to the success of this blog: the Reader. While I devoted an entire piece to the benefits of conscious breathing, I'm not convinced that alone will cure what ails my subscribers. Most sincere apologies. Here is the wordfood you seek. The topic is: Relevent.

Relevent. A lot of people want to be it and are not. Modern dancers, a demographic I've researched extensively, constantly deal with being relevent. During every contraction and release, every fall and rebound, every body-half and x-roll they must face the question, "Am I relevent?". I, as a member of a balletically trained modern dance collective, often do feel relevent. But what does feeling relevent have to do with being relevent? I am about to blog something important: feeling relevent is the same thing as being relevent.

It is natural to feel low, to let not being relevent get you down, but if a heightened perspective is what you desire, I can offer three suggestions: press into the balls of your feet, lift your heels away from the floor, and actively send your weight between your second and third metatarsals. You will feel, be, and look...relevent.

No comments: