Saturday, May 3, 2008

Where's Walden Books?


(Walden Books)

Where is Walden Books? Nowhere. Wikipedia.com, which is listed under "Favourites" on my computer, informs me that the little bookshop I frequented as a child is actually called Borders Express. It once existed as Waldenbooks--a word not recognized by my spellcheck--but was acquired by Borders in 1994.
.
The misspelled "Waldenbooks" is a spectacular bit of negligence by the company's creators. A high profile chain devoted to promoting the written word should be capable of correctly spelling its own name.

Thankfully, the French know what they are doing; a bookseller called Le Livre De Walden (The Liver of Walden) has established itself within Terminal Duex of Charles de Gaulle International Airport. It seems likely the shop is named for the famous home of Henry David Thoreau, which supports the theory that Walden is located in Paris.

2 comments:

Harold Phillips said...

Waldenbooks is no more? I wasn't aware of that... but then, I live in Portland, the home of Powells City of Books, so its passing probably went by unnoticed.

Unknown said...

I have Waldenbooks gift card. What to do? I suppose I could use it in some sort of craft.